The Norbertines and St. Norbert College played an instrumental role in the inception and evolution of local TV and radio in Green Bay, WIsconsin.
WHBY was an experiment of the SNC Physics Club. Student Cletus Collum’s interest in electricity and the new phenomenon of radio broadcasting sparked similar enthusiasm in Fr. Van Dyke. After securing a governmental license, they began building the apparatus. The following year, a speech amplifier and microphone were purchased, and in 1926, a transmitting station named WHBY opened in Boyle Hall.
This archival collection utilizes documents, photographs, and audio/visual recordings to tell the story of the intersections between St. Norbert College and WTAQ and WHBY radio and WBAY tv stations.
Special thanks to St. Norbert Abbey and WBAY-TV for their additions to this collection.